We engaged with 140 people across 22 counties, who were both active and inactive, and asked about their experiences, challenges and needs in relation to their participation in sport and physical activity. From the vast feedback we received, we have developed the Sport Inclusion Disability Charter, which clearly outlines the five key areas people with disabilities are asking all organisations to consider in making active and healthy lifestyles possible for them. Click here to hear more about some of the people we spoke to, and how they stay active.
What people with disabilities are
asking of your organisation
Be open to and understanding of all people with disabilities
Access training for our staff/volunteers to facilitate the inclusion of people with disabilities
Develop and deliver inclusive activities
Review our facility/venues/equipment to make our organisation more accessible
Promote the inclusive nature of our activities, in a variety of formats
Why sign up?
- Be part of Ireland’s first ever Charter specific to the participation of people with disabilities
in sport and physical activity
- Strengthen and expand your reach within your local community
- Avail of expertise and support available through Cara and Sport Ireland networks
- Remove barriers facing people with disabilities in their participation in sport and physical activity
- Contribute to achieving the goals of the National Sports Policy 2018-2027
- For more information, download our guidelines here.
What will you get by signing up?
- By signing up to this Charter, your organisation will receive:
- Resources to support you in your journey in addressing the five specific key areas identifiedby people with disabilities
- Media templates to publicise your support of the Sport Inclusion Disability Charter
- Bi-monthly e-zine to keeping you updated on the Charter and all developments in relation to sport and physical activity for people with disabilities
- Information on training and events specific to the inclusion of people with disabilities in sport and physical activity